This was originally the blog of a first-time Mum to remember the ups and downs of my pregnancy - and chart the first year of my daughter's life. But I've kept it going, and am now a mother of two! More than anything, it helps me to get to sleep once I've emptied my brain of issues and concerns and emotions onto the laptop.
If you're reading this and also a mum- or dad-to-be, first time parent, or just someone who's thinking about it - I hope it gives a little insight into one person's experiences - good and bad....

Thursday 17 March 2011

PREGNANCY - MONTH FIVE (WEEKS 17-22)

Oh my word - so much mucus! Since the start of January I've had a chesty, phlegm cough. Went to the doctor, but - despite being prescribed a course of antibiotics - it's not a chest infection. A couple of weeks later the nose started - both blocked and streaming with snot! Pleasant... and shows no sign of abating.It got me down last week, but now just resigning myself to having to put up with it for possibly the next four months. After having a relatively easy ride with morning sickness and aches and pains (so far), I guess I should just keep my fingers crossed that this is as bad as it gets. As for all my colleagues who are fed up with my constant coughing and blowing my nose - they should try being me!

20 week scan went fine - the little monster (note: when he/she is being good they're a monkey, but on bad days they're a monster!) was in the wrong position to see everything the sonographer needed at first. So a cup of tea, a bit of jigging around and some pelvic floor exercises later - he/she was moving around almost TOO much! 


Sonographer was pleased enough with all the measurements, organs etc - which was reassuring enough for us. She has asked us to come back at week 32 just to double check my placenta - which is a little low-lying at the moment so far as she could tell.

With that in mind, we also asked her about flying to America - as we're planning a pre-baby, 10 year anniversary break. She said it was best to be on the safe side, and would avoid long-haul flights. So we're off to Aberdeenshire next week instead! Still hugely looking forward to it though.

After researching a bit more into what it means to have a low-lying placenta (which still has plenty of time to move) - it's put my mind at ease a bit on the days I don't feel the little monster move. Last week I went four days without feeling anything, and got really worked up. But he/she's probably just in a position where he/she's kicking into the placenta and softening the sensations.

The little monster can't win though - yesterday I started getting concerned about quite HOW MUCH I was feeling him/her. Worrying he/she hadn't slept at all all day. Back to more 'normal' feeling today though. I've felt him/her a few times - enough to put my mind at rest.

The only other thing that's been bothering me this week is the grandparents. Both sets are sooo over-excited as it's the first for both of them. But, as generous and lovely the constant calls about buying stuff for the baby are ("which pram do we want", "what can we buy" etc) - it's all a bit over-whelming, at a stage when DP and myself aren't yet ready to start buying too much. I'm anxious neither side get too over-bearing, but it's hard to strike that balance between being grateful for their generosity, interest and support - and letting us get on and do things our way.

That said, my Mum took me maternity clothes shopping last weekend - and it was a pretty successful trip. I hate clothes shopping at the best of times, but managed to come away with a few really nice tops, one pair of (too big) jeans, trousers and BIG PANTS! Oh, and jumpers for our trip to Scotland!

No comments:

Post a Comment