This was originally the blog of a first-time Mum to remember the ups and downs of my pregnancy - and chart the first year of my daughter's life. But I've kept it going, and am now a mother of two! More than anything, it helps me to get to sleep once I've emptied my brain of issues and concerns and emotions onto the laptop.
If you're reading this and also a mum- or dad-to-be, first time parent, or just someone who's thinking about it - I hope it gives a little insight into one person's experiences - good and bad....

Wednesday 22 June 2011

PREGNANCY - MONTH TEN (WEEK 40+6)

I have taken up drinking Raspberry Leaf tea. I know it's more useful longer term for strengthening the uterine muscles than actually bringing on labour - but I'm totally off curry and would have to eat seven whole pineapples if that other old wives' tale is to have any effect. The tea's actually really nice, but no effects yet.

Also been walking lots to try to encourage the Little Monkey it's time to come out. Had the most obvious, but still totally painless, Braxton Hicks on Sunday evening after a particularly long walk - so I'll try to keep that up (if it ever stops raining). Had plenty of helpful suggestions from friends who've also been overdue - everything from watching a film that makes me cry to doing a jigsaw puzzle on my hands and knees on the floor!

We're very well aware that the average first baby is 8 days late (which begs the question of why bother with a due date instead of something like a 'due week') - but it doesn't make it any easier. I think both me and my OH are passed the impatient stage, and both feel more like it's just never going to happen and I'm going to be in a perpetual state of pregnancy for ever more!

The excitement and belief that there'll actually be a baby here soon has certainly gone. As has my feeling of being ready for labour and birth. That's slowly ebbing away as the days go on. As time ticks on I also find myself getting some darker thoughts if he/she stays in there too long - what if they're in distress and doesn't get out in time; what if my placenta suddenly stops supplying him/her with everything they need; and worse.

But the painless Braxton Hicks also make me occasionally have a wild notion that perhaps I'll be the first woman to have a totally pain-free labour and birth! Yeah right.

Still getting plenty of movement from the Little Monkey - and I keep telling him/her that there's far more room outside to stretch and kick and making all the big movements that he/she's still doing inside my tummy...!

So, still waiting - we know it could still be another week before the midwives decide whether I should be induced. Until then, I think I'll stick the kettle on for another cup of Raspberry Leaf tea....

No comments:

Post a Comment